Pages

Thursday 24 September 2015

back 2 basics


As of late I have been loving my staples. I would never go so far as to say I have a minimalist wardrobe, but my clothing collection isn't exactly large, so I have to get quite creative in trying to make it look like I'm not wearing the exact same outfit every day.

About a couple of months ago I picked up a plain grey tee which I quickly fell in love with. It's the most basic shirt you'll find but it's super comfy and there's virtually nothing in my wardrobe that it doesn't go with. That's when I started playing around with the clothes I have to see how many outfits I could make with the basics of my wardrobe.

I think it's quite essential to have basic pieces that go with lots of different things in your wardrobe, those mainly being in neutral colours (white, grey, black, beige, navy, etc). The thing that makes them so different is the combination.

The pieces I have that I would call my staples are:
  • grey tee
  • striped tee
  • flattering jeans
  • black cardigan
  • denim jacket
  • denim skirt
  • black leggings
  • striped dress
Now of course, you don't want to spend the whole week wearing the same two shirts, so I have a little collection of tops - mainly all of them are striped. This is the same for bottoms as well - I like to have a couple of pairs of jeans and leggings.

Another few items I'd consider adding to your wardrobe are:
  • sunglasses
  • flat shoes
  • heeled shoes
  • large bag
  • small bag
Make sure these are also in neutral colours so that they fit with everything! This is the essence of having a capsule wardrobe - everything goes with everything.

A lot of these combination work well as day-to-night outfits. And last, but definitely not least, is accessories! I find that I like to express myself through makeup, so that's usually the bold colour for me, or I chuck on a large statement necklace to add a pop of something fresh.



for the effortless look:: grey tee, jeans, heels







for day to night I :: striped tee, denim skirt
day: black cardigan, boots, sunglasses // night: denim jacket, heels, clutch


for uni :: grey tee, denim skirt, boots


for running errands :: striped tee, denim jacket, black leggings, boots

 

For day to night II :: striped dress, heels
day: denim jacket, sunglasses, big bag // night: clutch

At least for me, the biggest difference between day and night outfits are the accessories and outerwear - you can hardly tell it's the same outfit underneath!

I hope this was as fun for you to read as it was for me to put together! Maybe this'll inspire you to stick to the basics in your wardrobe - it's surprisingly creative.

Much love,

xx Silje

3 comments:

  1. I love basics too! They are definitely the foundation of my wardrobe and they are staple pieces I were again and again. Love the gif you made too! I've always wondered how to do that! My wardrobe isn't large either but mixing in a few trendy pieces with the staples certainly makes it feel larger and more dynamic! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, that's what I love about them - mixing and matching creates so many different outfits. Thank you so much for stopping by! I didn't either actually, I just googled 'make a gif' and clicked on the first link, haha!
      xx Silje

      Delete
  2. wow all outfits are looking awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!